Well, you asked for it. Here, Smoky answers the most commonly asked questions. He is direct, honest and offers an insight into the time proven techniques to preparing great barbecue that is unavailable elsewhere. If you are unable to locate the exact answer you are seeking, feel free to contact him directly and ask!
He returns all questions . . . . . . .
Topic: How not to clean your smoker . . . . From: Lee,
Subject: Re: A real burning issue!
It's funny I get this message from you at this time. Today was a busy day. I have good news and bad news.
The good news is; last weekend I butchered the pigs, which invoked our relationship. I am curing the hams as you said. I also purchased a charcoal smoker which leads to the bad news. Yesterday I smoked my first rack of pork ribs (fresh) and they turned out great. I set the smoker out in the drive, in a snow bank over night, to let the coals die out. This morning I decided to clean out the smoker. I had first put tin foil in the ash pan for easy clean up. So I gathered up the ashes in the foil with my bare hands and decided not to put it in my regular wood ash pile since it contained the foil. So I balled up the foil and tossed them in an empty plastic trash can. About a half hour later, I went to work. And while I was gone the cinders had ignited and started burning my brand new 24'x40' steel garage. I had started building it (by myself) less than 8 months ago, and it was nearly fininshed. Luckily I have great neighbors, wife, and volunteer fire department. They contained the fire to a 4'X6' corner of the building. minor damage to car and very dirty soot throughout the rest of the building. I'll never own a plastic trash can, and I'll also douse the ashes with water, for now on.
Not the best first time experience with smoking, but I'll try it again, if my wife doesn't destroy the smoker.
Lionel E. (Lee) Green
Wow, what a first!
Congratulations on successful cooking in the snow. I'll use you as an example for guys who want to lock up the grill with the first snow fall.
Sorry about that building fire. Could have been much worse if the trash can was inside or near the house.